Private David Sydney Moore - died 9/5/1915

9th Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment) - service number 1896

David was born in Belfast and enlisted in Edinburgh, where he had recently passed his final dental examination at the Royal College of Surgeons, obtaining first place and the medal in Materia Medica.

David was seriously wounded in the right leg during the Battle of Frezenberg Ridge (2nd Ypres) on 9th May 1915, and subsequently died. He is buried in Sanctuary Wood Cemetery (ref. V E 13), Flanders, Belgium.

Second Lieutenant Thomas George Moore - died 1/7/1916

17th Royal Irish Rifles attached 8th Battalion


Thomas (back row, second from left above - "No 1 Class Headquarter Gymnasium Aldershot May 1915") was born on 31st May 1892, the son of Head Constable George Moore, and Frances Jane Moore (nee Kent) of the Royal Irish Constabulary barracks at 52 York Road, Belfast. He had one brother, Richard, who also served and survived the war, and one sister Elsie. Frances died in 1897 and the two sons stayed with their father who subsquently remarried. As well as Inst, Thomas attended Skegoniel School, the Model School, Belfast and Belfast Mercantile College.

He was working in the linen business before enlisting in Belfast on 1st March 1915, with the 17th Royal Irish Rifles. He applied for a commission on 24th September 1915 and went to the Western Front in February 1916.

Thomas was killed in action, aged 24, on 1st July 1916, the first day of the Battle of the Somme, as part of the assault from Thiepval Wood. A report from Rifleman I Matthews of the 8th Royal Irish rifles stated "the Lieutenant was in D Company and in command of XVI platoon. The last I saw of him was in the second line German trenches on the morning of 1st July. He was then leading the platoon and we were advancing." Another informant stated that he had seen Thomas in the fourth line German trench in the afternon, but did not see him again.

In a letter to the War Office dated 11th April 1917, his father wrote "I am satisfied my dear boy was alive on the afternoon of 1st July, and that he was in each of the 5 lines of the German trenches reached by the Ulster Division on that date. He was always a boy of great courage but was careful. He was selected to cut the wire before his battalion entered the German lines. Notwithstanding the danger it would seem that he escaped injury until whatever occurred to him when the Division was probably forced to retire. The last account I have been able to obtain is that on the afternoon of the date in question he was holding a post on the 4th line of the German trenches when he was surrounded by Germans and either killed or taken POW."

After the death of her mother, Thomas' sister, Elsie, lived with her maternal  grandparents in Rathdowney, Co Laois, Ireland, and then went to live in New Zealand. One week after she heard about Thomas' death she also learned that her boyfriend had been killed. 

Thomas is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial (pier and face 15A and 15B), Somme, France.

Second Lieutenant William Oliver Ernest Morris - died 17/6/1916

16th The King's (Liverpool) Regiment attached 12th Battalion

William was born in Omagh, County Tyrone, on 11th January 1895, the son of Mrs A E Morris, "Inverna", Woodland Avenue, Belfast

He was working as a bank clerk when he enlisted on 7th September 1914 in Dublin, joining the South Irish Horse. He was commissioned on 9th February 1915 to the King's Regiment.

William was killed on 17th June 1916. The battalion were in the trenches in front of Potijze, east of Ypres. Following a quiet day, they were  heavily shelled at dusk, with the front and support trenches being bombarded about midnight. Six men were killed, including William.

William is buried in Potijze Chateau Wood Cemetery (ref. C 13), Flanders, Belgium.

Captain Hugh Gelston Morrow MC - died 20/10/1918

15th Royal Irish Rifles

Hugh was the son of Andrew J Morrow, 2 Avonmore Terrace, Balmoral, Belfast .

A member of Lisnagarvey Hockey Club, he had served his apprenticeship with Messrs. Ross Bros. Ltd., of Linenhall Street, Belfast before obtaining his commission in July 1916 and serving in 15th Royal Irish Rifles.
Hugh was awarded the Military Cross for gallantry at Cambrai in November 1917. The citation reads:

"For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during operations when in command of his company. During a hostile attack, he led a bombing party against the enemy, displaying the greatest coolness and courage under fire, and putting them to rout. He also went forward on three occasions to recover men of his platoon who had been wounded early in the attack." 

He was killed in action, aged 24. The battalion were attacking a position called Gaverbeke. In the action, they suffered 15 men killed and 51 wounded.

Hugh's Major, writing to his father, described how, “He fell at the head of his men, gallantly leading them against a machine gun which was holding up the advance. He was well ahead of his men when he was shot. He will be much missed in the battalion, in which he was very popular with all ranks. The men of his Company had the very highest opinion of him both from the point of view of his bravery and skill as a leader, and also from the personal point of view. He died a soldier’s death at the head of his men, and fell fighting in the greatest cause man has ever fought for”. 

Hugh was originally buried one mile north west of Deerlyck, north east of Courtrai, but was re-interred in Harlebeke New British Cemetery (ref. VII B 18), Flanders, Belgium.

Rifleman Harold Walley Myddleton - died 21/3/1918

2nd/9th London Regiment (Queen Victoria's Rifles) - service number 392119

Harold was born in Blackburn, and living in Thornton Heath when he enlisted in London. 

He was killed in action on the first day of the German Spring Offensive, the Kaiserschlacht.

Harold is commemorated on the Pozieres Memorial (panel 87 and 88), Somme, France.