Captain Maximilian Herbert Browne MC - died 21/6/1918

Royal Irish Rifles, attached 108th Trench Mortar Battery

Max was born on 28th May 1896, the son of George Burrowes Browne and Margaret Browne of "Lisnamaul", Ormeau Road, Belfast. After attending Inst, he was a member of the Queens University Belfast Officer Training Corps.

He was killed at 5.40pm, 21st June 1918, at the age of 22, during a training exercise at 22 Corps School. He was conducting an anti-aircraft practice on the range with live bomb ammunition. The ammunition had been examined and the fuses cut by Max, three rounds had been fired but the fourth exploded in the gun. As well as Max, who was killed instantaneously, two other men died of wounds sustained in the incident.

Max is buried in Esquelbecq Military Cemetery (ref. III A 3), Nord, France.

Lt Col Thomas George Buchanan

Royal Army Medical Corps

The school magazine School News lists a Lt Col T G Buchanan of the Royal Army Medical Corps in the Roll of Honour published after the end of the war; however no officer of this name appears in the records of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission or in the listing of "Officers Died in the Great War". However, an officer of this name attended Queen's University Belfast and served with the North Midland Mounted Brigade Field Ambulance, but he is known to have survived until 1945. Therefore it is suspected that the school mistakenly believed he had died and was so added to the Memorial and Roll of Honour.

Second Lieutenant Edward Edmund Burnside - died 21/3/1918

16th Royal Irish Rifles

Edward was born on 10th May 1898, the son of Mr Ingram Burnside and Mrs M E Burnside of "Norham", Bladon Drive, Malone Road, Belfast and later of Greenisland, County Antrim.

After Inst, Edward attended Queen's University, Belfast where he was a member of the Officer Training Corps. He enlisted in Belfast on 24th October 1916, being accepted for a commission on 16th January 1917.

He was killed in action on 21st March 1918, at the age of 20, north-west of Grand Seraucourt. The battalion war diary reports:

"The entire of No 1 Company consisting of 9 officers and 150 other ranks failed to appear at rendezvous west of Somme Dugouts, having apparently been cut off at Jeanne-D'Arc: were subsequently posted as missing."

Edward is buried in Grand-Seraucourt British Cemetery (ref. I A 1), Aisne, France.

Serjeant Robert Cambridge - died 12/2/1917

New Zealand Training Unit - service number 33162

Robert was born in Carrickfergus, County Antrim, around 1884. He first saw service in 1902, in the Boer War in South Africa, as part of the 29th Imperial Yeomanry (Irish Horse). He is recorded as being awarded a medal with two clasps.

On his return, in 1906, he married Anita Wilcox (possibly Wilson), in Barton-upon-Urwell, Lancashire and shortly after they moved to New Zealand. At the time of his enlistment, on 23rd August 1916, they were living at 144 Hills Road, St Albans, Christchurch and Robert was working as an ironmongery buyer for the DIC Department Store in Christchurch, where he was also in charge of the Hardware Department. He was also the treasurer of the Veteran's Association

Robert initially joined the 23rd Reinforcements, as a Corporal, and on 20th November 1916 was promoted to Serjeant. On 15th January 1917, he was transferred to Featherston Military Camp on the North Island.

Robert died on 12th February 1917 "from an accident occurring or disease contracted while training" and is buried in Christchurch (Linwood) Cemetery (block 35, lot 264), New Zealand. There is a reference in School News to him being a member of the King's African Rifles but this is believed to be incorrect.

Second Lieutenant Adam Clarke Capper - died 9/9/1916

20th Royal Irish Rifles, attached 7th Battalion

Adam was born on 18th June 1894, son of Adam Clarke Capper and Rebecca Capper of "Malvern", Malone Road, Belfast. After attending Inst, and Queen's University, Belfast, where he was a member of the Officer Training Corp, he worked for his father's yarn business, in Brunswick St.

He was member of the North of Ireland football club, and Malone Golf Club, and was commissioned into the 36th Division, working in its recruiting office at the City Hall for 3 months.

He caught measles as the Division departed for France and so was sent to the Army Service Corps training school at Woolwich instead, later spending 6 months with the Transport Train of the South African Division at Borden.

He applied for and received a transfer to the 20th Royal Irish Rifles, being sent to the training camp in Newtownards just days after the slaughter of his former colleagues on the Somme, in July 1916.

He quickly secured his travel papers, allowing him to join the 7th Rifles in August, and was killed on 9th Sept 1916, as part of the capture of the village of Ginchy, at the age of 22. He was buried nearby but his grave was lost in subsequent fighting.

Adam is now commemorated in Delville Wood Cemetery, Longueval (Spec Mem B8), Somme, France, where he is believed to be buried.